Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2011-08-19 15:16:30

**_tmaciag_**

-- IF HYPERLINKS IN CAPTIVATE DON'T WORK, TRY THIS --

Just spent a loong time trying to figure this out, so I figured I would post it here just in case someone ends up with the same problem.  Maybe this is obvious and maybe it was previously posted, but I couldn't find it.

We have documents such as PDF and Excel files linked on many of our websites for download.  When they are clicked from a web page they work fine and open as normal.  However we encountered a problem with an Excel file when we put the hyperlink into a PowerPoint file and then imported that file into a Captivate project.  We had some inline text on the slide (like 'Click here for the Excel form') and the hyperlink to that form was created in PowerPoint.  The slides were imported into a Captivate file and published to our Connect server.  When the link was clicked from the published Captivate file, the linked Excel file would not open - a blank browser window would pop open and then immediately close.

After much searching on the internet I finally came across a (somewhat obscure) link to a Northern Illinois University web page that had the fix:  http://www.niu.edu/its/education/peoplesoft/ie8.shtml  (My fix was the Windows XP link at the top of that page)

It had to do with Folder Properties/File Associations, and a little check box that says "Confirm Open After Download" - once that was unchecked the file opened right away.

So it must have something to do with how Captivate handled the link vs. PowerPoint, or just a normal web page.  Maybe some of the knowledge base here can explain why.

Hope this helps someone else out!

Last edited by **_tmaciag_** (2011-08-19 15:19:12)

#2 2011-12-07 10:53:06

**_Carri.Saari_**

Re: -- IF HYPERLINKS IN CAPTIVATE DON'T WORK, TRY THIS --

Hi Tony! thanks for the tip. I am glad to find a familiar 'face' on here.

Board footer