Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-12-09 13:04:38

**_cfberman_**

Moving Presenter files to SharePoint - Has anyone done this?

Hi,
As part of the project turnover, I need to upload all the files to SharePoint.  That means I'll be uploading PowerPoint decks with their corresponding Presenter audio and PPCX files as well as raw and edited audio recorded in Audacity (AUP & MP3 files).

Has anyone uploaded their work to SharePoint? I'm really apprehensive about doing this. Will it put the PPCX file in danger? I would appreciate any guidance that the community can offer. 

Thanks for your help,
Cynthia

#2 2009-12-09 15:11:41

**_jcooper9099_**

Re: Moving Presenter files to SharePoint - Has anyone done this?

I have the same questions, as we may try the same thing for production. However, remember that the ppcx file is just an xml file. There are relative link references in the nodes so as long as you keep the file structure you should be fine.

#3 2009-12-14 13:11:56

**_bellsm_**

Did you get this to work? I would like to transfer all files to a SharePoint library for production - so that people can launch the presentation from within SharePoint, but my initial efforts in keeping the file structure intact in the SP library haven't worked.

#4 2009-12-14 14:58:27

**_gajett_**

in your SP document area, enter explorer view, and simply copy/paste (or drag/drop) your presenter files.
if they won't load (mine wouldn't the first time), when you export, choose the zip option and unzip them after you upload to sp.

seems to work fine.

Greg

#5 2009-12-15 17:59:34

**_BCCAresearch_**

Document Libraries in SharePoint are basically folders on the server. If you don't choose a basic file type you can upload most files without issue. SP does not like having exe files however (makes sense though). If you do have excutable files just zip them and upload them.

We use sharepoint to distribute updates, like the new connect add-in.

You can also upload files into a document library and then create webparts in other libraries and lists to display those files, like your powerpoint files.

#6 2009-12-16 18:42:37

**_cfberman_**

Thanks everyone!

I'm still puzzled about something: When I played around with SharePoint a little while ago, it was pretty easy to upload the files, although I had to upload each file in the Audio folder separately. But, how do I check out the entire Audio folder? It looks like I'd have to check out each individual MP3 and LTHMB file and reassemble them in a mirrored Audio folder (and, of course, the PPCX file) before I could work on them.

BCCAresearch, you mentioned zipping the files and uploading them. Would that be a good way to have the PPT, Audio folder, PPCX file, and raw audio travel together as a package? I want the checkin and checkout to be at a package level to keep the parts in sync.

Thanks again. This forum is awesome!

Cynthia in cloudy Seattle

#7 2009-12-17 21:52:52

**_cfberman_**

First, thank you to everyone who replied. So far, it looks like the zip solution works.

I copied sets of PPT/audio folder/media.ppcx to my desktop and zipped them. I did it from the desktop because I wanted to go Windows to Windows and the files normally live on unix servers. No sense taking a chance <g>.

I created a new folder in an existing structure on SharePoint.

I copied the five zipped files to the new folder on SharePoint and checked them in.

Then, I checked one out to my desktop (after deleting it's parent), unzipped it, opened the PPT, and published a version successfully.

Checked it back in to SharePoint, notified my client that the source files are available on SP, and made myself a cup of tea.

Unless I hear something to the contrary, this method works just fine.

BTW: Thank you so much for the extra information about the media.ppcx file. I've been so afraid of it that I've never tried to open it. I had no idea that it was just good ole XML. It was interesting reading. Like pulling back the curtain on the wizard in OZ!

Board footer