Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-06-29 14:32:18

**_vanblokland_**

FLV files with Alpha Channel in Connect using Presenter 7

We want to incorporate video in our training by using FLV files. I have recorded a video using green screen (shot in DV mode 720 x 480) imported into Premeire PRO CS3 as an AVI file. It was trimmed and exported as an MOV file. The MOV file was imported into AfferEffects CS3 and the background removed using Keylight 1.2. The file was then exported to an FLV file using alpha encoding for transparency.  The FLV file was inserted into a PPT 2003 slide using Presenter 7 import movie option.

The transparency works fine but the image is very pixelalated.  I have placed the results on an external site so you can see what I am talking about http://www.lambobuilder.com/testvideo/

My questions are:
1. What type of video capture should be used with the end result being as I described. I have High Def camera capable of HDV 1080P or simple DV.
2. What FLV settings should be used?  I do not see any difference between export and rendered versions out of AfterEffects.
3. If I had to give up the AlphaChannel, is there a better way of accomplishing what I am trying to do?

Are there currently any resources or white papers available to help educate me?

Thanks in advance

#2 2009-06-30 15:15:18

**_Daniel_**

Re: FLV files with Alpha Channel in Connect using Presenter 7

Hi vanblokland,
Cool. I do not know the answers to any of your questions but thought I'd say I like what you are trying to do. Frankly, I thought the quality of the video was pretty good as it is (not terribly pixelated). If others offer ideas on how to improve it, that would be useful information.
Daniel

#3 2009-07-02 13:54:34

**_jonaslagneryd_**

Hi,
This is very interesting and I am eager to hear from those of you with experience and/or ideas how to realize this.
Kind regards,
Jonas

#4 2009-07-08 09:18:36

**_vanblokland_**

Ok, I have made progress.
Original test http://www.lambobuilder.com/testvideo/
Latest Version http://www.lambobuilder.com/testvideo2/
The major difference was recording HDV 1080I 1440 x 1080 using a Canon VIXIA HV30 to mini tapes. After cleaning up the footage in Adobe Premier CS3 and SoundBooth, i exported using the Adobe Media Encoder with an H.264 format preset to HDTV 1080P high resolution and changed Audio to mono 32KHz.  This file was imported into AfterEffets where I masked out the green screen using keylight 1.2, spill suppressor and Matte Choker. To reduce the file size I cropped the compositon to the region of intrest to trim away the extra areas that were generated from the Premier CS3 h.264 formatted file. Then it was simply exported to an FLV file with Alpha Channel checked , Medium  quality at 400 kps.
I imported video using Adobe Presenter into the body of the slide. Have to change the PPT properties for H/W settings that were in After Effects as it imports as a square.

I still have a ways to go on getting a clean image but it is better.  I need to work on my lighting when shooting the original green screen. What's the old saying? "It's a process, not an event."

I was also able to export still images that were shown on the first slide (second version) with alpha channel from After Effects CS3 as PNG frames which gives me the transparent images in PPT.

Hope this helps someone in their efforts to create more engaging content.

#5 2009-07-08 09:34:31

**_jonaslagneryd_**

Hi,
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience! Yes, the video/image quality is much better now. Great! The sound though, is not top notch when I listen to it. Do not know what causes the distortions...?
Kind regards, Jonas

#6 2009-07-08 09:37:22

**_roysdenc_**

When you import your video with Presenter, there is a quality option you can select.  The default is Medium (400 kbps), so I would try changing it to High (700 kbps).  I have found this helps when I have tried it. 

-Chris

#7 2009-07-08 09:39:48

**_vanblokland_**

The original sound was recorded with a lavaliere mike. which is a single channel.  The recording saves it as a Stereo file.  I lowered the settings quite a bit and made it mono. Maybe I should leave it stereo.  I will have to do some more testings. Thanks for the feedback.
Try listening to it again and see if it is better.  Did not check file size but I know that sometimes after the file has been cached the audio is cleaner as it is not waiting for the download.

#8 2009-07-08 09:41:08

**_vanblokland_**

Thanks Chris, I'll test those settings

#9 2009-07-09 11:17:24

**_vanblokland_**

In discussions with Adobe yesterday, they had several suggestions. First import raw footage directly into AfterEffects instead of running it through Premiere as that is an additional compression I do no need. 
Leave the Audio as it came in instead of choking it down to mono.  Also suggested that we upgrade the Lavaliere (lapel) mic to a better quality, hence the topic for the other post asking for recommendations.

#10 2009-07-15 15:55:51

**_vanblokland_**

When Importing the video, there have been several references in multiple posts to change the quality of the video from the default 400kbps to 700kbps.  However, mine is grayed out and cannot find a way to make that option available. I am using the latest version of Presenter 7.0.2 Build 7464with PPT 2003.

I have an open ticket with Adobe since the 8th and still have not received an answer.

#11 2009-07-16 09:56:11

**_roysdenc_**

Have you tried to uninstall and re-install Presenter?  I don't know that I have ever seen mine grayed out.

-Chris

#12 2009-07-16 11:19:19

**_vanblokland_**

I uninstalled and reinstalled Presenter 7. I have done the update and the service patch. Same results. I guess I'll wait for Adobe.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

#13 2009-07-16 12:14:45

**_jonaslagneryd_**

Hi,
I am having a wild guess! Might it have something to do with the file format? You are importing flv - dimmed; when importing mp4... - not dimmed??
Kind regards,
Jonas

#14 2009-07-16 12:24:00

**_vanblokland_**

No the option is grayed out before any selection is made. There is a drop down of Files of type:. I have selected each option and makes no difference. 
I have even downloaded Presenter from Adobe's site but found it was the unpatched version
After Basic Install      Version 7.0.0 Build 7328
Apply the Update      Version 7.0.1 Build 7404
Apply the patch         Version 7.0.2 Build 7464

I have contacted my Adobe Rep and they are escalating to Tier 2.  Once I get a resolution, I'll post.  Thanks for the suggestion

#15 2009-07-20 12:32:24

**_vanblokland_**

Did a Connect Meeting with Adobe. Jonas was correct. Based on File type you have the option to change or not change. If you do and FLV file, it is grayed out as it has already been converted. If you do a AVI or MPG file you have the option to select higher settings. I know I had tried that and it did not work. When demoing the issue for Adobe, of course I had the higher setting available when I chose my first import of an AVI file.  They indicated that if you attempted to import and FLV file first then went to an AVI file, you may not have the option available. Would need to close out of PPT and come back in and then chose the AVI format first.

#16 2009-07-20 14:43:10

**_roysdenc_**

Good to know.  Thanks for posting your findings.

-Chris

#17 2009-12-01 02:42:30

**_tonyrizo_**

awesome thanks for all of the info.

Board footer