Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-04-24 17:15:19

**_ahhull_**

Navigation Bar

I'm using Presenter 7 and have a 25 slide presentation, but only want 5 slide titles to appear in the navigation bar, but right now I have 25 slides with 25 titles (many duplicate titles).

How do I get some of these titles to "not appear" in the navigation bar?

Articulate Presenter let you click a box so "slides won't appear in the navigation bar".

I'm sure the fix is super simple, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Many thanks!

Darren

#2 2009-04-25 16:25:16

**_catholicon_**

Re: Navigation Bar

I dont have presenter here but afair presenter respects hidden powerpoint slides...guess it would work for you

#3 2009-04-25 16:33:13

**_ahhull_**

Huh??? Your answer makes no sense!

#4 2009-04-26 12:32:59

**_gajett_**

catholicon wrote:

I dont have presenter here but afair presenter respects hidden powerpoint slides...guess it would work for you

ahhull wrote:

Huh??? Your answer makes no sense!

the response was marked as answered, so i'm not sure if you were really able to make out the response. catholicon said 'as far as i remember' to not show certain slides, use the 'hide slide' feature of powerpoint.  presenter will respect the 'hidden' flag and not publish the slides.
hope that helped.

greg

#5 2009-04-26 14:59:19

**_ahhull_**

Thanks Greg for the interpretation.

Unfortunately, I don't want the slides hidden, I want the slide titles hidden. For example, I have 5 slides that have the title of "Basics", but I only want "one" Basics title to appear in the Navigation Bar.

How do I stop the other four "Basics" from appearing in the Navigation Bar?

#6 2009-04-26 17:49:25

**_gajett_**

from the presenter menu, choose Slide Properties.  You can change the navigation name there. select the slide you want to edit, and click the edit button.

Greg

#7 2009-04-26 18:03:31

**_ahhull_**

Thanks Greg for trying to help, but I don't think I'm being clear.

I don't want to change the slide name either...I would like to only HIDE the "slide title" (but keep the slide) so I don't have multple titles in the navigation bar with the same name...right after one another.

The presentation currently looks like this in the navigation bar:

Welcome
Basics
Basics
Basics
Basics
Basics
Statistics

And I would like it  to look like this...Without removing the 4 other "Basics" slides from the presentation, just their titles.

Welcome
Basics
Statistics

Thanks!

#8 2009-04-26 19:31:12

**_gajett_**

so what do you intend for people to see for these 'duplicate' slides?

the navigation bar (to be clear, we are talking about the 'outline' tab??) will have either the slide title (auto generated from the slide), the navigation name set by you via presenter's slide properties, or slide 2, slide 3, side 4, etc... (if you change the navigation name to a space)

i don't know how it would be helpful to the end-user for the presenter to be able to 'hide' certain slides, yet still reference or use them in a presentation.  if you want to make sure people view your slides for a certain amount of time, set the duration and lock the slides.

you may simply need to have:
Welcome
Basics
Basics 2
Basics 3...  or some variation.

maybe i'm still missing something...

Greg

(btw -- i'm using presenter 7.02)

#9 2009-04-26 21:32:32

**_ahhull_**

I do not have duplicate slides, just duplicate TITLES...5 PPslides with the title "Basics" and when Presenter generates these slides, they appear in the outline tab as:

Basics
Basics
Basics
Basics
Basics

It just looks bad...Each of these slides has very different information, so none of them will be "hidden"...I just want their titles hidden

Since this has taken a few emails to explain, I don't think it can be done, which in my opinioin is a HUGE design flaw!!!

With Articulate Presenter, you simply go into the slide manager and click "hide in navigation" and the title is hidden, but the slide is not.

#10 2009-04-27 07:49:20

**_gajett_**

ahhull wrote:

I do not have duplicate slides, just duplicate TITLES...5 PPslides with the title "Basics" and when Presenter generates these slides, they appear in the outline tab as:

Basics
Basics
Basics
Basics
Basics

It just looks bad...Each of these slides has very different information, so none of them will be "hidden"...I just want their titles hidden

Since this has taken a few emails to explain, I don't think it can be done, which in my opinioin is a HUGE design flaw!!!

to be clear:
-- you are talking about the 'outline' tab in the side bar, correct?
-- the behavior you describe, if the above is true, is by design, and can be affected in the three ways i described before

-- as for being a design flaw -- it is absolutely NOT a flaw.  there is never a good reason to hide included content from the end user, forcing them to guess, or just plain miss, how to navigate to their desired location.  if this were a quiz, and showing slides depended on accurate responses, then you'd need that flow, but for a presentation, especially using Presenter, which allows thumbnail view, notes, search, etc... why would you hide something?

-- i would simply set the navigation name (as appropriate to the different information) and have done with it.  IMO, it doesn't look bad, it looks complete.  if you've got 25 slides, and only 5 titles showing, it appears misleading.

#11 2009-04-27 09:55:29

**_ahhull_**

Thanks Greg, I appreciate your effort!

#12 2009-04-27 12:13:52

**_dyun_**

The correct way to achieve what you want is to use the 'hide slide' functionality in PowerPoint as others have suggested.  These slides are still included in the presentation but just omitted from the Navigation (Outline tab).  So a user would still encounter the hidden slides in the intended order, but as others have mentioned, but they would just not appear in the nav which I think is what you are trying to do?

best,
David

#13 2009-04-27 13:27:58

**_gajett_**

dyun wrote:

The correct way to achieve what you want is to use the 'hide slide' functionality in PowerPoint as others have suggested.  These slides are still included in the presentation but just omitted from the Navigation (Outline tab).  So a user would still encounter the hidden slides in the intended order, but as others have mentioned, but they would just not appear in the nav which I think is what you are trying to do?

David,
I tried hiding and publishing -- hidden slides do not show up.
i tried hiding and using the go to option to select the hidden slide - no hidden slides

what did i miss?  i cannot get hidden slides to show in a presentation.  i am publishing locally, for testing purposes.  also tried one straight to connect -- no joy there, either.

Greg

#14 2009-04-27 14:55:06

**_roysdenc_**

My experience with hidding slides is that they don't show at all, basically what Greg is seeing.

I also agree that trying to hide the names of slides is more of a broken experience than having three slides that say basiscs.  I understand the reason for wanting that experience, but if I didn't have background info I would be confused.

-Chris

#15 2009-04-30 17:35:37

**_catholicon_**

Hmm...you are right...Presenter won't go automatically to a hidden slide automatically (an on-slide hyperlink would do...but obviously thats not needed here).
Anyways, there is a simple hack that you can do to work it out for you. After you publish (with hidden slides) your presentation (to say c:\Pres1\), do the following:
(1) Browse to C:\Pres1\data
(2) Open viewer.xml in notepad
(3) Look for slide-tags that are hidden (they would have inSequence="false")
(4) Replace "false" with "true"
(5) Save the file and see the Presentation again. You should get what you expect.

HTH

#16 2010-07-13 19:37:27

**_twentyeight_**

This is an old thread, but I think a sollution is needed for future ref.

For what you want to acheive:

Go to "Slide Properties" in the "Articulate" menu of PowerPoint.
Right-click the slide you want to hide in the menu (but still have the slide play in the presenter).
Select "Hide In Navigation Panel".

When you Preview or Publish your presentation, the slides will now play without showing the title in the menu.

#17 2010-07-14 03:01:59

**_sarahjohn63_**

You solve your problem from this way. First from menubar select slide properties.
Which slide you want to hide right click on it. And select hide in navigation panel,when you preview your presentation.

#18 2010-11-30 02:27:54

**_clivewilliam_**

In the presenter application there is the hidden features to hide the slide. Another thing is that there is required to disable the hide properties to show the all slides.

#19 2010-11-30 05:15:13

**_amathur_**

The desired functionality might not be available in Presenter but is achievable via Captivate
If you choose to hide a slide the entire slide will not come up in the published content
However what i make out of the requirement is that there are n number of slides scattered across the presentation with the same title and it is desired that the title be shown only once

#20 2010-11-30 10:39:04

**_Purnima_**

The desired functionality is not available with Presenter as of now.

If you want customized table of content you can import these slides to Adobe captivate and there you have functionality to modify table of content.

Hope this helps

#21 2011-03-28 15:33:36

**_Tom_Bertram_**

twentyeight wrote:

This is an old thread, but I think a sollution is needed for future ref.

For what you want to acheive:

Go to "Slide Properties" in the "Articulate" menu of PowerPoint.
Right-click the slide you want to hide in the menu (but still have the slide play in the presenter).
Select "Hide In Navigation Panel".

When you Preview or Publish your presentation, the slides will now play without showing the title in the menu.

Where do you find the "Articulate" menu of PowerPoint?

#22 2011-03-28 20:19:03

**_kevinahayes_**

Articulate Presenter is not related to Adobe Presenter in any way.  Different product entirely. 

So you won't find an Articulate Menu in PowerPoint unless you buy it :)

Board footer