Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-04-22 09:41:57

**_denito981_**

Hyperlinks open up a seperate window each time

I have several hyperlinks in a slideshow which link to an external webpage glossary of terms explaining in more detail the meaning of each term.  The problem is that each hyperlink opens up a new browser window each time so that if the user clicks on 10 terms he/she ends up with 10 windows.  Is there any way to control the target window of the hyperlinks?

Last edited by **_denito981_** (2009-04-22 09:42:38)

#2 2009-04-28 16:18:09

**_roysdenc_**

Re: Hyperlinks open up a seperate window each time

First off, which browser are you using to test?  In IE 7 you can select how you want windows to open when you click a link, either opening in the same window as a tab or in a new window.  Not sure if FireFox has this option, but it probably does.  If this fixes your issue, it means that the experience will be controlled by the viewer and how their internet browser is setup.

-Chris

#3 2009-04-28 21:45:37

**_gajett_**

why not simply place the 'appendix' info into a pdf and attach it to the presentation?  viewers can review at their leisure.

greg

#4 2009-08-04 10:45:51

**_jcharland001_**

I am having a similar issue, but the hyperlinks that I have embedded are to different 'courses' within a curriculum.  Ultimately, I'd like the learner to have the ability to jump between courses but have the new courses open within the same browser window.

Has anyone ever done anything like this before?  Or are there any recommendations on how to get around this limitation?

Thanks,  Josh

#5 2009-11-11 17:22:04

**_klemay001_**

Josh, I am now running into the exact same issue as you are where I have multiple modules in a course and want a user to be able to go into any module they choose.  Inside of the module I want the user to be able to also go back to the main menu slide of all the modules.  As you have experienced when I put a link on a page in PowerPoint and then publish this, the link always opens in a new window.  So the issue is mainly with PowerPoint in that you cannot indicate the target of where you want the link to open such as _new _top or _self. 

I am still trying to find a way around this. 

One option I was hoping Adobe Presenter would have was where a person should be directed once they are finished viewing the presentation.  If we could indicate a "URL" that people go to then I could easily direct them back to the main menu for the course.  This not possible either from what I can tell.

For me it looks like I will have to use Captivate 4 to publish my course content since that tool has more options in this area and I can add my own links to the screens and control how they work.  I personally like the interface from Adobe Presenter for the course though.

If anyone has found any interesting work arounds for this issue it would be great to hear what they are.

- kevin

#6 2009-11-11 17:49:54

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Well you have a few options.

The most complicated of the options is to create a single training object with multiple parts that branch out from a single table of contents. The upside is that since everything is in one project, there is only one window to deal with. The down side is that all interactions will be reported into a single pass/fail score.

The other option you have would be to either put a "Continue" button that hyper linked to the next presentation, or you can put an action on the quiz of the presentation, that when finished, they can be taken to a specified URL if they pass or fail. Presenter > Quiz Manager > Edit button for quiz > Pass or Fail Options

Just remember to put a slide after the Quiz Results slide, as the continue button doesn't work unless it has something to continue on to.

#7 2009-11-12 00:02:03

**_robva65_**

Hey guys,

In the "for what it's worth" category while reading this thread, I thought I'd pass on a possible solution....and for those of you who have strong programming backgrounds, you'll recognize this as a major HACK, but from my perspective, having done this for other clients, it was the best I could do given that PowerPoint doesn't support window control at all.

Here's the gist: even though you can't specify, call or set window parameters when creating links, you can employ some javascript on the HTML pages that will ultimately load external content.

I'm about to dive into some technical territory here, so I'm going to ask you to take this w/ a grain of salt....mostly b/c I don't think I'll be able to explain this entirely (or correctly at this time of night) and I'm sure someone out there will find some level of fault with the following.....so here goes.

This is a 2 part solution and I'm going to provide all the code I use in this process.  Part one is defining the script that will execute when called and part 2 will include the function call on the HTML page that will load the external content.

Part one: The External Javascript document.

Open Notepad and add the following:

function launchModule(){
    width=452;
    height=440;
    top.window.resizeTo(width, height);
}

Save this doc as launchModule.js

Part 2: Calling the script from your HTML page
On the HTML page that you're looking to connect to from your Presenter content, place this line of code before the closing </head> tag:

<script language="Javascript" src="launchModule.js"></script>

Save the HTML file and shut it down.

Okay so what did we just do?

Simple: the javascipt document contains a simple function that tells an open window to resize based on some variables that are defined within it.  In this case, I set mine to 452 x 440.  You can't control chrome elements this way (meaning the address bar, toolbars scrollbars and all that jazz), but you can absolutely define the scope of the open window, which in my case, was enough to do the job.  From there, a reference to the script is needed at the HTML ducument level, so that the opening HTML page knows what to do and thus respond to the script accordingly.

I'd be happy to provide working examples if you'd like; just drop me a line at robva65@netscape.net.

That said, let's talk about some OBVIOUS caveats with this approach.

ONE: if you're trying to target an html page that you don't have any control over...like the index page of ABC company for example....then you're screwed.  No control = no control over the experience you're looking to create.

TWO: this approach still doesn't address denito's earlier post about launching a SINGLE web page stemming from different links in a deck.  But there's nothing stopping you from creating a single "landing" page which then can lead to additional content.  It ain't the cleanest approach, but then again I did stipulate that this was a hack!

Having said all this, my personal belief is that we need to keep the learning experience as painless and seamless as possible for learners.  Additional distractions, multiple navigation threads, and the like, all add up to a boat-load of problems for folks and the last thing we want is disgruntled, frustrated learners.  So....don't know if this helps at all, but just thought I'd weigh in on it.

Rob

http://www.robrode.com/yabb/

Board footer