Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2015-04-08 17:06:08

WTSDoug

Unattended recording of meetings

Only a host can initiate the recording of a meeting. However, does the host need to remain in the meeting room for the recording to continue?

For example, could a host enter the room, initiate recording, then leave the meeting while presenters and participants continued? If so, when would recording stop? Would it be saved?

Or, could the host enter the room, start recording, and then stay in the room yet not be active? The host could be logged into the meeting while presenters and participants carried on while the host was off doing other things. (There computer might even go into standby mode.) Again, in these circumstances, when would recording stop and would it be saved? Would the meeting be recorded even if there is no activity in the room for a while pending the arrival of participants and presenters?

Doug

#2 2015-04-08 18:00:26

Jorma_at_CoSo

Re: Unattended recording of meetings

Since the recording is done server side, then if the Host started it and then was idle or left, the recording should continue, for a while at least.

There are other things to consider though. If you are on a Named Host licensing model, a meeting won't start/run for more than 5 min without the Host present. So, if you were to show up as the Host, start the recordings and then leave, the recording will only last about 5 minutes, as the room will then close down and end the recording.

If you are on a Concurrent User license, I'm not sure of the advantage of your need to star the recording and leave, as anyone can be listed as a Host and start/stop recordings.

You may also want to look at the auto record pod from RefinedData: http://www.refineddata.com/autorecordpod/

#3 2015-04-08 19:13:20

WTSDoug

Thanks Jorma!  (Nice to hear from you again.)

We are running a pilot study with concurrent licenses. Each meeting room has two people in it, a student and a mentor; they are in the rooms as presenters. All meetings need to be recorded to protect both the student and the mentor; this purpose would be defeated if either of them had the ability to turn off the recording.

We looked closely at the auto recording pod from Refined Data. They did some research and discovered that their pod would not work in a room that does not have a host present.

Our current plan is to have someone log into the room as a host and start the recording. The questions are meant to determine the limits on this, to determine how attentive the host has to be. I have already confirmed that I can log into multiple rooms at a time with the same ID.

Doug

#4 2015-04-10 09:19:16

Jorma_at_CoSo

Doug,

I beleieve that if you joined a room as a host and started a recording it would continue recording untill that room's session ended, based on the concurrent user license.

Being a pilot study, I would suggest that you also consider a licensed deployment, as you can force all meeting sessions to be recorded if your account isn't hosted by Adobe.

#5 2015-04-10 17:22:40

WTSDoug

I did some experiments and I now believe I know how to respond to this challenge.

The key result from my tests is that recording ends immediately after the last person leaves the room. So if a host enters the room and starts a recording they need to stay until someone else enters the room, even if the someone else enters as a Presenter. At this point the host can leave and the meeting, and recording, will continue. Once the last Presenter/Participant leaves the room, the recording will stop and be saved.

Still to be tested: what if the last person in the room does not leave, but simply leaves their computer? My hypothesis is that they will be automatically kicked out of the room when the Web Session Timeout expires. (This setting is in Administration -- Session Settings in Connect Central). At this point I would expect the recording to be stopped and saved.

Doug

#6 2015-04-13 09:34:47

Jorma_at_CoSo

The Session Timeout in the Admin section is for on-demand content (I know that isn't specified in Connect). The meeting room should have a inactivty time out of 6-8 hours, if I recall correctly, but that may also be host inactivity. Either way, you will end up with a long period of nothingness if all attendees don't leave the room.

#7 2015-04-15 12:36:40

WTSDoug

I set up a room with one host and one presenter who had logged on from two different computers. After starting recording, both users left their computers. After three hours I returned and both users were still in their rooms and recording was still running. I stopped the recording, which was then saved. After 12 hours of inactivity the host was booted from the room.

I'm still not clear on the what the time out setting controls. The Adobe Connect 9 help page suggests that it is a time period that affects any session with no activity.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/connect/9.0 … -8000.html

#8 2015-04-15 13:41:17

Jorma_at_CoSo

The Session Timeout in the Admin section is for on-demand content (I know that isn't specified in Connect).

This means Presenter, Captivate, PDF, HTML, JPG, SWF, FLV, etc. content. This is mostly important when dealing with objects that track users and their interactions (think Training course or curriculum). So if someone starts watching a Presenter presentation and leaves their computer to come back and take the quiz at the end, it will likely have timed out and they will need to re-launch the presentation.

Thanks for the testing and feedback on the meeting room time out!

Board footer