Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2014-09-25 08:43:08

anhyzer

Recording issues with Connect 9.2.2 and Windows 8.1

I have a long-time Connect user who is experiencing audio and video issues since moving to Windows 8.1. She uses Connect to record her classes and review sessions. There are no live participants so I can't say for sure what happens in the live meeting, but in about 1/3rd of her recordings, the screenshare freezes (often about 20 minutes in but sometimes right from the beginning of the recording). While the screen is frozen, I can see the instructor's cursor moving, and I can hear her stylus touch device drawing, but the screen does not refresh.

If the screen is frozen long enough, it will eventually turn to a black screen. I continue to see the cursor moving over the black screenshare.

In some of the instructor's recordings, the VOIP audio cuts out in the middle of the recording. Using JayDeep's Recording Repair Assistant (https://my.adobeconnect.com/JRRA), I'm able to repair a small percentage of the broken recordings. Usually I can recover the audio which suggests there was audio in the live meeting and it was lost in the archiving of the session. I've had less success recovering the screenshare which suggests that maybe it was frozen in the live meeting (again, no remote attendees to confirm this). I believe on at least one occasion, I have successfully recovered a broken screenshare by running it through JRRA.

I will finally get some time with the instructor tomorrow to review FlashPlayer and Connect add-in versions. If all of that is current, I will likely try uninstalling/reinstalling FlashPlayer and open a ticket with Adobe if that doesn't resolve the issue.

Any other thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Our environment:
On-prem Connect 9.2.2 3-server cluster
Secure HTTPS/443 and RTMPS/443
No shared storage

Thanks.
--Chris

#2 2014-09-25 11:33:08

Jorma_at_CoSo

Re: Recording issues with Connect 9.2.2 and Windows 8.1

This is a known issue and is supposedly being resolved with the release of Connect 9.3. It was discussed in the following thread: http://www.connectusers.com/forums/post/30951/#p30951.

Full list of bug resolutions for Connect 9.3 can be found here, http://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/re … 20resolved.

You can also try using the latest add-in, available here http://www.adobe.com/support/connect/do … dates.html, as it has a resolution for randomly crashing on Windows 8. However this seems different from your problem. Bug fixes for the add-in are at the bottom of this article, http://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/kb … addin.html.

#3 2014-09-25 12:24:57

anhyzer

Thanks, Jorma. I saw that thread but I wasn't sure my issue was exactly the same. I do not see the loading icon on top of the black screen. In most cases, I don't even see a black screen... just a still image of the desktop at the point that the share stopped refreshing.

As for fixing it in 9.3 (I'm sure you can see this gripe coming; apologies in advance since it's not my intention to shoot the messenger), Connect 9.3 is not released yet. We have 18,000 meeting hosts running the currently supported version of Connect, many of them transitioning to Windows 8.1. All of the classrooms and student technology centers on our 8 campuses have already transitioned to 8.1. Even if Connect 9.3 was released tomorrow, the interface changes are significant enough that we can't roll that out to our users mid-semester. We're not likely to be able to get that in production before the end of spring semester in May 2015. I hope that if Adobe has acknowledged this as a bug, they're able to patch 9.2 too.

Apologies again for the rant. I'll contact Adobe support to make sure they understand our predicament and our need for a 9.2 fix too.

Thanks again for responding.

--Chris

#4 2014-09-25 12:47:12

Jorma_at_CoSo

I've experienced the lock up on Windows 8.1 as well. I get the frustration.

Can't hurt to ask if Adobe can give a hot fix for that issue, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen them do it.

#5 2014-10-29 09:43:23

anhyzer

FYI, I reported this to Adobe Support more than a month ago. They were able to reproduce the bug immediately. I have been in contact with them almost every day since with no resolution yet.

Now that Connect 9.3.1 is available, I've installed it on a test server and have reproduced the bug there as well, so the Windows 8.1 screensharing freeze issue is not fixed in Connect 9.3 as we originally thought it might be.

More info on the bug: In a small percentage of meetings (15%?) in which the Host shares his entire desktop from a Windows 8.1 computer running the latest add-in (11.9.971.247), after some time, the screen share will freeze for the remote meeting attendees. If the Host stops sharing and starts sharing again, the meeting attendees see a black Share window. The only resolution is for the Host to leave the Connect meeting, rejoin, and initiate the share again. We've seen this bug with Connect 9.2.2 and Connect 9.3.1. When this happens in Connect 9.3.1, the Host will see the screenshare freeze in the new Screensharing Control Panel. If he stops/starts the share, the Control Panel will be blank (remote users still see a black Share pod). Again, the only resolution is to leave the Connect room and re-enter.

I've seen the bug a bunch in my testing but have not yet found a way to reproduce it on demand so it's quite insidious.

--Chris

#6 2015-03-25 14:01:06

dkosst

Hi,

I see that the last post is a few months old. Is there a solution for this issues? I'm experiencing the same one the last few months and I still have not found a solution. The issues is exactly the same as described in the first post. Any pointers would be helpful. Everything I've tried till now had no effect.

Thanks

--Danijel

#7 2015-03-30 06:22:33

tibbsj

I've recently had the issue as well and according to the list of fixes for 9.4 it doesn't look like they are addressing it.  My fix was to roll back to Win 7.

#8 2015-07-23 14:20:31

GlennHughes

I've been working on a Connect Seminar all week in Windows 7 and doing test runs with no issues. Yesterday afternoon I added another computer with another webcam to the mix and began having issues. The new computer began randomly freezing the webcam and I had to keep logging out/in to get it restarted. All the same symptoms above. Today, during the live event, 15 minutes the camera froze. Why wasn't I having issues with my other computer all week? Both the same box...except the second one is running Windows 8.1, the first one is running Windows 7. I only checked that after reading this forum and can now report the issue still exists in Connect 9.4.1 with Windows 8.1. Today is July 23, 2015

#9 2015-08-11 13:57:18

NDE-Lincoln

It is now 8/11/2015 and this issue still exists on Windows 8.1.  Not really acceptable for a 3 year old operating system and a program that relies heavily on video conferencing.  Come on Adobe, get it together.  Zoom doesn't have this issue.  Neither does any of the other webinar style programs we've used.

#10 2015-08-13 11:47:07

KathrynK321

I have been experiencing audio recording issues for over a year now. I didn't realize it was Windows 8 related, but maybe it is. Adobe has told me part f the issue will be fixed in the September release...but that sounds a bit too uncertain for me.  I may have to switch platforms, which makes me very unhappy--I have spent a lot of time setting up meeting rooms etc.  But I need quality recordings--my clients use our rcordings. And my admin has to check every recording because sometimes the audio starts but cuts out.  Very aggravating.

#11 2015-08-28 13:08:13

azpeter2009

I have just discovered a possible incompatibility with INTERNET EXPLORER and EDGE in Windows 8 and Windows 10.   The connection test on various machines FAILS with a SLOW CONNECTION, while the same test passes in Firefox and Chrome.  Have you had the bad audio in IE? or in Firefox or Chrome?   It may be that screwed up connections would manifest themselves in bad audio...   What do you think?

Board footer